Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Without a Vision The People Perish



Many welcome the New Year with a chance to wipe the slate clean and make those New Year's resolutions. I usually shy away from such resolutions as I feel I make these grandiose ideas/goals for the year only to set them aside months...days later. In fact, my hubby read a statistic saying that most resolutions are broken after the first week!
This year we decided to make the challenge as a family. Perhaps help each other stay accountable. Our mantra is Proverbs 29:13, "Where there is no vision the people perish." We hope to have a vision and goal for this year so on December 31 of 2014, we can say we are better person and have matured in our walk of life.

To begin our vision for 2014, I passed out paper to each family member. The top of the sheet read S.M.A.R.T. (Acronyms for Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic & Time Oriented.) We had categories for four areas for our year goals (Spiritual; Knowledge; Monetary; Physical)

Following the SMART guidelines, we penciled in what we wanted to accomplish by year end. I had us do this in pencil so we could mull over the goals during the first day of 2014 to see if that is really the direction each person wanted to go. At days end, I typed the goals and made two copies. Each member has their goals to post as reminders and the other is stapled to December 2014 calendar page.
This helped to solidify my resolve for goal making. In the past I never could find what I had intended to accomplish for the year. Now, each family member has a finish line and knows that the finish line is coming!

We will see how this year pans out. One thing I do know, it has made me personally more motivated. With goals set, I want to see a better person on December 31, 2014.

Hope you all have a great 2014!

No comments:

Post a Comment