Saturday, October 12, 2013

Caramel-Apple TurnOvers

Since fall is in the air, I have been baking and creating foods surrounding apples.  I am so excited to finally have fruit from our own tree.  It makes me feel like a real pioneer woman baking apples from our own trees.   I think this is a passing fad as I don't see myself doing this on a regular basis as the pioneer women did.  The novelty of baking and putting up my apples would quickly wear off, if I had to do it!


Have you ever watched Food Network show Chopped?  I got to thinking about it and realized the chefs were given ingredients and had to create a palatable recipe using familiar ingredients or things they liked to make the foods seem normal.  Not that I am anywhere near a chef nor planning on going on Chopped, but I have definitely branched out and creating some of my own recipes.   I made a new recipe combining ingredients I love to make Apple Turnovers.  I hope you enjoy the Caramel Apple Turnovers you will be able to make as much as our family did!  They really are to die for!! :)


Caramel-Apple Turnovers
5 apples peeled and chopped
2 Tbl butter
1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbs honey
13 oz. caramel squares (melted) *
Easy Pie Crust (click here)
3 Tbs raw sugar + cinnamon to sprinkle on turnovers
Step One:
Cook the peeled/chopped apples w/ butter till tender.  Add the ginger, cinnamon and honey.  Simmer about 5-10 minutes.  Add the melted caramels and stir well.  Set aside to let cool slightly.



Step Two:
Cut your pie crust in 3x3 or 4x4 squares.  I actually used a Tupperware container as my 'cookie press.'  Place the square whole wheat pie dough on parchment covered cookie sheet.  Put a spoonful of caramel/apple mixture in the center of the pie square.   The apple mixture will be a little soupy.  Though you could spoon it over the turnover, it will run out and make a mess.  I used a spaghetti spoon to spoon the caramel-apple mixture so only some of the caramel-apple mixture liquid would be on the turnover.   Fold it over and pinch the sides. Sprinkle top with raw sugar and cinnamon.





Step Three:
Bake 350 for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.


*Note from Paula: You can melt the caramels in a sauce pan but I found it easier to put them in the microwave for about 30 seconds.  You just want them melted enough to blend well with your apple mixture.  If you put the whole caramel squares with the apple mixture, they will take too long to melt and the apples can get mushy.

No comments:

Post a Comment