Monday, September 24, 2012

No Food in the Inn

So many have probably wondered...well maybe not and I am humoring myself....why I haven't posted that many food items.  We have had our kitchen counters replaced.  My kitchen has been out of commission for about two very lonnng weeks.  I never realized how many times I used my kitchen sink till I didn't have one.  Using the bathroom sink was not only bordering on gross but made cooking a real challenge.  We didn't have our dishwasher or the garbage disposal working.  I know many of you may say, "I don't have one either! So what is your problem?"  I guess the problem is that I was used to having them so we didn't have the habit of washing dishes, especially in the bathroom sink.  We used a lot of paper plates but the kids would invariably forget and get a regular dish.  The dishes mounted in the two weeks.  Argh!
The dust has been incredible and I have been going nuts!!   At last, it is finished and I am putting my kitchen back together.  Food will come again and we won't be eating sandwiches for lunch and dinner!  However, I have told my kids that we are eating like royalty with our sandwiches.  How so?  I found a 'rest of the story' on the sandwich sent from a friend.  Thought you would enjoy it as well and you can tell your kids that they are eating like royalty when they eat their peanut butter sandwich! :)


The "Rest of the Story" for the lowly sandwich:
Food historians generally attribute the creation of the sandwich as we know it today to John Montague, 4th Earl of Sandwich. In fact, Montague was not the inventor of the sandwich; rather, during his excursions in the Eastern Mediterranean, he saw grilled pita breads and small canapes and sandwiches served by the Greeks and Turks, and copied the concept for its obvious convenience. 
The concept is supremely simple: delicate finger food is served between two slices of bread in a culinary practice of ancient origins among the Greeks and other Mediterranean peoples.  Literary references to sandwiches begin to appear in English during the 1760s, and the idea became popular in America in the 1830s.

No comments:

Post a Comment