Friday, September 28, 2012

Whole Grain Carrot Apple Muffins


These wonderful muffins can be a breakfast muffin or a dessert!  They are really good.  I think if I were to make them a breakfast muffin, I would make them jumbo size.  They are full of fruit and what some like for a sweet treat for breakfast.  The raisins and apples make a really moist muffin.  The carrot/apple muffin sure beats the store bought kind full of all kinds of ingredients you can't pronounce!

I doubled my recipe as I knew my kids would eat them up...yes, I was right.  I think I should have tripled the recipe as we didn't have any leftovers.  Will tell a funny on a plate of muffins later in the post.  I think I need to get on with the recipe as this is a mouth watering muffin!

Whole Grain Carrot Apple Muffin
adapted from Chef Lacey

2 cups soft whole wheat flour (also called pastry flour)
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 cup raw sugar
2 cups fine grated carrots (I used dehydrated carrots!!)
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
1/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut (optional)
3 large eggs
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 tsp vanilla
1 granny smith finely grated apple

In a large, bowl sift together whole wheat pasty flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.  Whisk in raw sugar.  Add shredded carrots and all or any of the following optional ingredients: pecans, raisins and coconut.


A side note to the carrots.  I have dehydrated shredded carrots in 2 cup increments.  This holds the nutrition of the carrots, saves me a TON of space and I simply rehydrate the carrots about 30 minutes before I want to mix them into a cake or in this case, muffins! (Click here to learn more about dehydrating)



In your Bosch Bowl, whisk together eggs, oil, applesauce and vanilla.  Peel and core apple coarsely shredded the apple in your Bosch Slicer/Shredder (this makes it really FAST!)  Add apple/egg mixture to the flour mixture.  Whip till batter is well mixed.  Don't over beat the batter.  Divide batter amount the muffin cups, filling them 3/4 full and bake till puffed or tester comes out clean.  Bake 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes.








Cool muffins in cups on racks for 5 minutes before turning our onto the racks to cool completely.  Muffins can be kept airtight for up to 5 days.  Mine never last that long.



Now to the funny....I had 4 muffins separated for the main pic and way out of reach, or so I thought.  My two year old grandchild saw the muffins and reached out and took one.  He came around the corner with a big bite in his mouth.  His mom took away the muffin explaining grandma needed it for a picture.  Try to wrap the concept of a food picture to a 2 year old!  Yes, he got the muffin...after the pic! lol  

No comments:

Post a Comment