Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Lemon Blueberry Bread

This is a wonderful dessert bread that I got from another daughter of love.  She loves to cook and try new recipes.  This is one she found on Pinterest and found herself making it again...and again...and again!  With so much raving about the bread, I thought I would try it myself. 

The recipe says you can make it into muffins rather than a loaf of bread.  I chose to make it into muffins due to so many in our family.  For some reason, muffins seem to stretch to all the kids unlike the quick bread.  I think my kids liberally determine slices to the point that "I only had 'one' slice of bread" equates to half a loaf!  When I make muffins, the kids can have portions pre-made in the form of a muffin AND they have to confess how many muffins they had.  :)

So if you like making quick breads, this is a GOOD one.  If you like muffins, this is a GOOD one!!

Lemon Blueberry Bread
makes one loaf OR 24 muffins


1 1/2 cups sifted whole wheat flour*
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup plain yogurt
1 cup raw sugar
3 eggs
2 tsp grated lemon zest (about 2 lemons)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup oil
1 1/2 cups blueberries

Lemon Syrup:
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice**
1/3 cup Xagave

Lemon Glaze:
1 cup powder sugar (okay not so healthy)
2-3 tbs fresh lemon juice

Grease bottom and sides of loaf pan. 

In medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
In large bowl, whisk together yogurt, raw sugar, eggs, lemon zest, vanilla and oil.  Add dry ingredients. Fold blueberries into batter.


Pour into bread pan OR muffin pans and bake 350 degrees.
For bread, bake 50 minutes or until tooth pick comes out clean.  For muffins, bake 25 minutes or until golden brown.

When done, poke small holes in the bread with a tooth pick and brush with lemon syrup.  This 'syrup' will soak into the blueberry muffin allowing the lemon flavor to soak evenly into the bread.  Yum!  Cool completely.


Make the glaze which should be pourable.  Pour over the loaf and let it drip down the sides of the loaf.  I didn't do this to the muffins as it would have taken so much time.  This step would be good for the loaf only.

The lemon glaze will harden on the bread in about 15 minutes which you will want to serve immediately for the perfect tea time dessert.

*I used the L'Equip flour sifter to remove the bran from my whole wheat flour.  This is wonderful, cake like flour.

**I used the wonderful Bosch Citrus Juicer attachment to make fresh lemon juice in seconds.  This is a great attachment that will be perfect for summer lemonade!!  I LOVE this attachment.  Click here to see more!

No comments:

Post a Comment