Friday, September 9, 2011

More Time savings ideas


I promised in my last e-newsletter that I would post on time saving ideas for this higher pressure times as school starts.

Here are some great time saving tips from Sue Gregg's cookbook "Meals in Minutes". Remember, you can contact me via email or phone to adjust shipping costs for cookbooks!

Extra Time-saving Tips

-Mix your homemade seasoning mixes and print on the container label the mix and amount needed for a recipe.
Example:
Ground Turkey Seasoning Mix:
2 Tbsp nutmeg
2 Tbsp thyme leaves
2 Tbsp garlic powder
2 Tbsp sage
This mix seasons 48# of meat. Blend together ingredients and store in tightly covered container in kitchen cupboard or freezer. Use this label: 1/2 tsp. turkey mix per 1# ground turkey meat + 2 Tbsp catchup + 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce.

-Extra packages of whole grain breads:
Freeze dinner rolls, buns, French bread, sourdough bread, etc. Take out just what you need for a meal rather than a whole package. Over wrap packages with freezer Ziploc for added protection. Bake at least two loaves of bread at a time. But don't overload the freezer with too many packages of breads. Breads dry out in the freezer. use it in 2-4 weeks.

Note from Paula: I do agree with the bread drying out after 2 weeks BUT I have found bread in the recesses of my freezer that had ice crystals all over the loaf an we still ate and it was fine. I also use the basic bread bags (click here) to bag my bread in the freezer and it works just fine.

Crumb coating mixes: Prepare these coating mixes for chicken and fish. Keep on had in freezer in freezer Ziploc bags.

Here is one sample coating mix from Sue Gregg's "Meals in Minutes" cookbook:
Parmesan Chicken Mix
(Coats 8 to 10# boneless chicken)
4 slices soft whole grain bread
3/4-2 cups Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt

Dip skinless chicken in melted butter and then coat with crumb mixture

Sue Gregg has lots more ideas to jump start your cooking experience in her "Meals In Minutes" cookbook. The point? There are so many things that you can do to ease your work load with all the extra pressures hitting you during harried moments. Enjoy life by using time saving tips for your cooking experience.

Humm...should I mention that my Bosch Universal Plus Kitchen Mixer is my power kitchen tool that really saves me lots of time. :) I love my Bosch and it is my merry maid kitchen tool that helps me with all my cooking. You will love it! If you haven't gotten yours yet, now is the time to help your kitchen needs!

1 comment:

  1. I had Sues whole set but somehow lost the Main Dishes. I loved her Turkey Carcass soup from that book!!!

    ReplyDelete