Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Healthy Snickerdoodle Cookies



We are back to desserts and one of my vices...COOKIES!! I can easily resist cakes and most pastries but not cookies, especially ones with chocolate. Yum.

If you look at most recipes for Snicker Doodles they have shortening. A little tidbit about shortening....avoid it. You can hold shortening all day long in your hand and it will not melt. It melts at 102+ degrees and our bodies (98.6) will not keep it melted...it clogs up your arteries. With this info, I usually avoid Snicker Doodle cookies since I know they are made with lard.

So here is the good news! We adapted this recipe changing the shortening to butter. It worked beautifully. In fact, one of my tips to change your diet to health is to simply change your family recipes to using butter or expeller pressed oil verses shortening. You can use butter or oil in place of the shortening. When it really won't work in a recipe, I decide I didn't need to eat that particular food anyway.

Without further a due, here is the great recipe!

from Sensible Cooking Cookbook (click here to see more)

1 cup shortening (I used butter)
1 1/2 cups sugar (I used raw sugar)
2 eggs
2 3/4 cups pastry flour
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp raw sugar
2 Tbsp cinnamon

In Bosch mixing bowl use cookie paddles to cream butter and 1 1/2 cup sugar and eggs. Beat until light and fluffy. Sift dry ingredients together and add to creamed mixture. Roll into balls. Roll balls into sugar/cinnamon mixture. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes at 400 degrees.



No comments:

Post a Comment