Monday, April 18, 2011

Is your boat sinking?


I have never heard salvation nor the call to purify yourself before communion done (I Corinthians 11:25-29) in such a way. The pastor likened a person who has a personal relationship with Jesus as an ocean liner being christened as it leaves the port. Everyone is cheering and happy that the new ship liner is pulling out in the vast ocean. Our pastor then asked the question, “Does anyone cheer when the water gets into the ship?” His point? We are to be in the world (the water) but not of the world (the water in the boat.) Our pastor states the unfortunate reality of sin abounding in within the body of Christ. The water has gotten in the boat and it is sinking the boat. He said the purpose for the believer (our life purpose) is to be the ship out in the vast ocean where the sinking soul can cry, “Ahoy, man overboard. Send me a life raft and pull me in.” We are to be the light of the world offering life rafts of salvation in Jesus. We are to be the vessel God uses to bring the world to Him. What a calling and purpose. Our pastor reads the sad portion of Scripture (I Corinthians 11:29-30) on how the believers in the church had so fallen into a sin pattern that they no longer were offering the life raft but sinking deep in their sin.

The song came to my mind and I thought how I don’t want to sink into the miry clay.

I was sinking deep in sin, far from the peaceful shore,
Very deeply stained within, sinking to rise no more,
But the Master of the sea, heard my despairing cry,
From the waters lifted me, now safe am I.

Refrain
Love lifted me! Love lifted me!
When nothing else could help
Love lifted me!

All my heart to Him I give, ever to Him will cling
In His blessed presence live, ever His praises sing,
Love so mighty and so true, merits my soul’s best songs,
Faithful, loving service too, to Him belongs.

Souls in danger look above, Jesus completely saves,
He will lift you by His love, out of the angry waves.
Heaven’s the Master of the sea, billows His will obey,
He your Savior wants to be, be saved today.

It was a moving service for me to ponder the calling we have as believers and how quickly we let water into the boat and then wonder why we are sinking.

Let us bail the water out and forge ahead looking for those who are crying, "Ahoy man-overboard, send me the life raft!"

No comments:

Post a Comment