Sunday, August 22, 2010

Sweet Pickles Anyone?



Here is an old family recipe...well a Kerr Jar recipe that my mother in law taught me how to make.

I am not really a 'canner' but I have always loved my mother in law's sweet pickles. Several years ago, I asked her to teach me her secret to great sweet pickles. Yum. It really isn't hard but just need to plan your time as they take time in processing.

It is about a two day process to make these great pickles. You don't have to 'baby sit' the pickles but have to do different steps several hours apart. Thus, you can't just throw the pickles together on a whim. I had a good friend bring me some fresh cucumbers from her garden. What a blessing since we were opening our last jar of sweet pickles from last year's batch. This recipe makes a crisp delicious sweet pickle. Yes, I do know that it has sugar and that pickles are not that great for you but we enjoy them in moderation. :) Enjoy.

A footnote: I use the deluxe cooling rack (click here to see) for my bread but it is perfect to set cooling canning jars on as well. :)

Crispy Sweet Pickles

25 to 30 small cucumbers (7#)
2 cups lime (calcium hydroxide)
2 gallons water
2 quarts vinegar (8 cups)
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons whole cloves
1 teaspoons salt

Slice cucumbers about 1/8" thick. Dissolve lime in water and cover cucumber slices. Let stand 24 hours. Rinse well. Let stand 3 hours in clear water. Drain. Mix well the vinegar, sugar, salt and cloves and pour over cucumbers. Let stand overnight. In the morning bring to a boil and boil 35-40 minutes. Fill sterilized Kerr jars to within 1/2" of top with cucumbers and syrup. Put on cap, screw band firmly tight. Process in boiling water bath 5 minutes. Yield: 10 pints.





No comments:

Post a Comment