Monday, January 3, 2011

Bread Bowls!



I mentioned in my January e-newsletter to use bread bowls with your soups. I use the basic bread recipe for my bread and simply form the bread into baseball size balls. You then place the dough in greased bowls. Let them rise and bake till golden brown.

Paula's Whole Wheat Bread (3 Loaves)

* 3 1/2 cups warm water (about 120 to 125 degrees temperature)
* 3 Tablespoons SAF yeast
* 1 Tablespoon Dough Enhancer
* 1/3 cup oil
* 1/3 cup honey
* 1 Tablespoon salt
* 10 cups of whole wheat flour

Place all ingredients in your Bosch Mixer with only 5 cups of whole wheat flour. Turn Bosch Mixer on Speed 1. Add the rest of the whole wheat flour till the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl..about 5 more cups of flour! Mix/knead for 4 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees. Enjoy!

Make the bowls earlier in the day so they will be easy to cut the hole for the soup. A tip on cutting the soup bowl hole...don't cut too deep and keep the lid by the bread bowl as extra bread to eat while eating the soup.

The bread bowl is so good as it sops up the excess soup. It is a heavenly way to eat soup. Enjoy! :)



3 comments:

  1. Oh, where did you get those bowls? Are they stainless steel? I like them. I have done bread bowls but only ever set the bread onto a greased cookie sheet to cook. I like those bowls!
    Kori

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually found them at Wal-Mart several years ago. I didn't realize what a gold mine those bowls were when I picked them up for about $1 per bowl! Wish I had bought more.

    You can make a bread bowl by putting the dough on a cookie sheet. The bowls will have a flat bottom much like you see at Panera Bread.

    Soup is so much better when in a bread bowl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well - I come in search of the same information! I have found my answer to where you got those bowls!!! I'm going to check around town and see what I can find!

    ReplyDelete