Monday, March 31, 2014

Grasshopper Cake


Basic Chocolate Cake
Bake 2 cakes in 9" Round Cake pan

There are lots of recipes out there for a basic chocolate cake.  I have to admit, I used a cake mix.  Remember, you only need to beat the cake batter for only 30 seconds.  The Bosch Mixer is so powerful you do not need to do the full mixing time that recipes call for.

The Filling:
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup raw sugar
3 Tbs cornstarch
1/2 tsp peppermint extract
1 large egg
1 to 2 drops green food coloring

Whip all ingredients together.  In sauce pan, heat over low heat whisking constantly till thick.  After thickened, refrigerate for at least one hour.  It needs to be cold.






The Topping:
1 1/2 cup cold heavy cream
2 Tbs powder sugar

To assemble:
Put 1 cake on plate and then cover with the filling.  Place the other cake on top and top with whip cream topping.  I garnished with green chocolate chips in keeping with my St. Patrick theme.









Note From Paula:  My filling/pudding could have been firmer, if I had left it in the fridge longer.  My kids were wanting it made fast, so I assembled the cake a little too quickly.  Thus, you see the pudding oozing out the sides.  It was still good!  Enjoy!  Our cake went fast...this is a good one! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment