Friday, November 8, 2013

Pumpkin Soup and Sweet Fellowship

This is about Pumpkin Soup but first let me tell you about my special friend who created and made this soup for me. I have information about my friend on my Missionary link but need to tell you more about sweet Cheryl Kuney. Cheryl is a missionary with Gathering Hearts for Honduras who can be found bandaging wounds or washing and feeding inpoverished children. Her heart is for the people of Honduras. She is my hero.

Here you see Cheryl in her other world. The world she was in most of her adult life. A world that is full of etiquette and beauty. She is graceful and could easily mix with the rich and famous not standing out in the crowd because she didn't know what protocol was necessary at a fancy dinner. What am I thinking of? Me, the casserole gal! I would not melt into a rich and famous crowd and would definitely not be able to talk food garnishing with the foodies! Cheryl is amazing and humbly walks with Jesus.

She treated a friend and I to lunch at her stateside home during one of her furlongs from the mission field. I was wowed how she was able to turn simple chicken salad and pumpkin soup into a gourmet meal. Again, I say, Cheryl is my hero. :)


Cheryl Kuney, my dear friend and missionary from Gathering Hearts for Honduras.

She turned a simple chicken salad into a beautiful presentation. I think it tasted better just because it looked so nice. I hated to touch the food because it was so pretty! :)
Now, for the Pumpkin Soup! Can I say...GREAT...TASTY...BEAUTIFUL...YUM!!?? Again, the presentation was beautiful as well. I feel so pampered after having lunch with Cheryl.


Pumpkin SoupFrom My Dear Friend Cheryl Kuney
(click here to 'meet' her!)
3 Tbs unsalted butter
1 small onion finely chopped
2 Tbs whole wheat flour
6 cups chicken broth*
1 can (15oz) unsweetened pumpkin
1 jar (8oz) sweetened applesauce
½ tsp fresh ground ginger
¼ tsp fresh ground nutmeg
1 cup heavy cream
2-3 Tbs brown sugar
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Croutons (optional)

Directions:

Heat the butter in a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until it's tender. Sprinkle the whole wheat flour over the onion and stir until mixed. Add the chicken broth, pumpkin, applesauce, ginger, nutmeg, and sugar and stir until the mixture is smooth. Heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
Stir in the cream and heat through. Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper and serve immediately with croutons, if desired.
*Cheryl boils a chicken all night in a crock pot or until the broth is caramel in color; then, uses the chicken for chicken salad and the broth for the soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment