Saturday, November 16, 2013

Grandma Camp!




So what does Grandma Camp look like? My first rule is that the grandchildren have to sleep through the night! I have learned my aging body limitations and am not young like their parents to stay up all night and still function all day.
Grandma Camp is all about memories not extravagant activities. All my grandkids are under five years old. I found lots of low priced outdoor play toys on Craigslist which will bring years of play memories. I made a play area and large sand box as one activity; we painted with tempera paint; we played with sidewalk chalk making roads and designs; we blew soap bubbles; we made homemade play dough; we cooked together; bubble baths; ‘swimming’ in my Jacuzzi; and we ate grandma Sutton food with milk (they call my homemade granola this!) The four day camp was really nothing huge but my grandkids’ mind it was different at grandma’s house because we called it ‘camp’ and we did constant games focused on them. At the end of the week, I had spent $20 on small items to entertain them. They walked away with great memories and want to know when is the next‘grandma camp.’
As the holiday season approaches, the world will tell us to buy/do so many things that are putting strains on the budget but promised to make that memory. We end up with lots of money spent and no memories! Keep it simple for the holidays. Really, all kids want is your attention and your time. Spending $20 for Grandma Camp is proof!

Homemade Playdough
2 cups flour
2 cups water
1 cup salt
2 tsp cream of tartar
2 Tbs cooking oil
Food coloring


Mix dry ingredients. Mix water and food coloring; add oil. Add we ingredients to dry ingredients. Cook over medium heat in low flat pan. Stir constantly until mixture starts to pull away from the sides of the pan. Remove from heat and cool slightly. knead until smooth. Store in zip-lock bags.

We had fun making it and then playing. I pulled out the cookie cutters and pizza rollers. The kids had a ball and I spend practically no money! :)


For a special breakfast meal, we made special pancake shapes using the pancake rings.

I let the grandkids cook with me. They got to add the ingredients, count the items going into the creations and then lick the spoons!!

They played with chalk and we made roads with chalk with the Craigslist toys I found. These toys will add years of fun for the kids and future grandkids!!


We painted with tempera paint. This was little more nerve wracking as I was trying not to get anything on their clothes. I should have planned better and collected old mens shirts to put on them. When I taught preschool Sunday School, we would use old men's dress shirts and put them on the kids backwards. With the buttons in the back, we had them completely covered. Should have planned better...next time. :)


The best was our 'swimming party' in grandma's bathtub! If you turn the jets on in your jacuzzi, you will have major bubbles. The kids had a ball and we had lots of bubbles. I got in with them and we had fun making bubble creations. Life is good. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment