Friday, May 10, 2013

Slow Cooked French Toast!




Have you ever wanted a new and different idea for Mother's Day. There is always the traditional breakfast ideas, but this one is soooo different!! I must admit, I don't think I would make it for breakfast as it only has to cook about 3-4 hours which means I would be getting up way too early in the morning to have this breakfast ready for breakfast. I have become a morning person but this would be over the top. I would be like all those doughnut shop/bakery people who get up at 2 a.m. to 3 a.m. to have those fresh baked goods ready for us to consume. I just don't have the DNA to do that. Kudos to those who do get up and have those fresh pastries ready for us.

So how would I use this luscious recipe? I would make it for the dessert finale of the Mother's Day Meal. It would be cooking through the morning and be hot and ready for dessert. I can't tell you how good this breakfast...dessert is. My kids kept asking me when it would be ready as the smell permeated the house. Then, it was like holding back a starving animal from its food. My kids were far from starvation but you would have thought they hadn't seen food in years the way they dug into this breakfast dessert!

Humm? Am I recommending this dish? YES!!! It is worth trying. So without further ramblings...here we go!

Slow Cooked French Toast
Found & Adjusted from Taste of Homes

1 1/2 cup raw sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup butter
12 slices whole wheat bread
2 cups fresh blueberries
6 eggs (slightly beaten)
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
garnish with fresh blueberries and whip cream

Step One: Butter inside of the crock pot. Mix raw sugar, cinnamon and melted butter. Put 1/4 of sugar mixture on bottom of the crock pan. Put 4 slices of bread on the bottom. Cover with another 1/4 sugar mixture and sprinkle with blueberries; Repeat this step with each layer of bread.



Step Two:
Mix eggs, milk, vanilla extract, salt. Pour over the bread mixture.


Step Three:
Turn crock pot on Low Setting. Cook for 3 to 4 hours or until egg mixture is solid/cooked.


Garnish with whip cream and blueberries.

Note from Paula:
If your mom is not a blueberry fan, try peaches...strawberries. This is a fun, delicious breakfast OR dessert for Mom! Can I say YUM!! Enjoy!

Don't forget the Mother's Day Sales!! You can see them at www.paulasbread.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment