Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Homemade Pistachio Pudding!


Just in time for St Patrick's Day, Green Pistachio Pudding made from scratch and still fits the easy cooking style I like! I love my Bosch Universal Plus Mixer because of all the attachments that are available. The Bosch Food Processor made this pudding easy because I simply dumped all the ingredients for the Pistachio paste in the Bosch food processor and in seconds it was pureed. Did I tell you I love my Bosch? :)

Before I start the recipe, I have to tell you a funny about this pudding. My kids are very good about trying new recipes that I make. This one was a challenge for them seeing the green and the per-strained pudding. Seeing the nuts in the pudding, they sort of freaked. They very gingerly took a bite of the pudding only to have their eyes light up and say, "Wow, this is really good!" Needless to say, they loved the pudding.

Pistachio Paste:
1 cup salted pistachio nuts
2/3 cup raw sugar
4 Tbls water

Pudding:
4 cups whole milk
4 large egg yolks
2/3 cup raw sugar
4 Tbls. cornstarch
pinch of salt
2 tsp. vanilla
4 Tbls. butter softened

Step One:
In your Bosch Food Processor, make the Pistachio Paste. Puree the shelled pistachio nuts. Add the raw sugar and water.


Step Two:
In sauce pan, heat and whisk the Pistachio Paste and milk. While heating milk mixture, whisk egg yolks, raw sugar, cornstarch and pinch of salt. Pour about 1 cup of pistachio/milk mixture into egg yolk mixture. Whisk together and return to the heated milk mixture. Boil for 1 minute until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat. Stir in butter and vanilla




Step Three:
Strain the pudding through a fine mesh strainer set over a bowl. This is to remove any cooked egg bits and any possible nut chunks. I added drops of green food coloring to get a deeper green pudding for the occasion.

Step Four:
Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight. Serve with a dollop of whip cream for extra pizzazz.

No comments:

Post a Comment