Monday, October 29, 2012

Apple Blueberry Crisp

My wonderful daughter decided we needed a dessert to perk up the family with mom down...long story of recovery from surgery.  I have enjoyed sitting back and letting her creative juices fly and getting to benefit from the delicious cuisine that is coming from out kitchen.  I hope you enjoy this dessert with a fall flair!

We found this recipe in a Taste of Homes magazine but then adapted it to our liking.  My daughter knows I love blueberries and apples are the fruit of the fall.  Why not make an apple BLUEBERRY crisp.  Yes!!

Apple Blueberry Crisp

4 cups sliced peeled tart apples
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
1/4 cup Xagave (click here)
1/4 cup thawed orange juice concentrate
2 Tbs whole wheat white flour (click here)
1 tsp ground cinnamon

Topping:
1 cup granola *
1/4 cup Xagave (click here)
2 Tbls whole wheat white flour (click here)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup cold butter cubed

Step One:
Combine first six ingredients.  Transfer to stainless steel greased  pan.*  Now for the delicious topping!  Combine granola and next 4 ingredients.  Spread over the fruit mixture.


Step Two:
Bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden brown.  It is really good served with vanilla ice cream. Yum!


*Concerning the granola, I used the homemade granola that I always have on hand. (Click here for that recipe).  You could use a store bought granola or used regular rolled oats.  The regular rolled oats will not be as flavorful but if its handy in the pantry, go for it.

** I like using stainless steel because it is a clean metal to cook with.  It doesn't leach metals back into your food products.  Plus, I call them a life time pan.  They don't have a life time warranty but my pans are over 20 years old and still look like brand new.





No comments:

Post a Comment