Thursday, July 12, 2012

Perfect Pie Tips


Since I am posting several pie recipes with all the fresh fruit available, I thought I would give some pie crust tips.  Have you ever wondered why your pie crust is tough and might even break a tooth when you bite into it? OR perhaps you long for a healthier version to get away from the shortening pie doughs.  Well, here are some great tips to help with both!

I use butter instead of shortening as it is healthier alternative and makes a great, flaky  pie crust.  You will love it and never want to go back to the shortening!  Click here for butter pie dough recipe!

1. Use ice-cold water.  Cold water helps keep the butter solid while you are mixing the dough.

2. Use a pastry blender OR the Bosch Food Processor with the bottom blade.  When using the food processor make sure you don't over process the dough.  You want to only pulse the dough as the more you mix the dough the tougher the dough will become.  What you are looking for are pea size crumbs.

3. Add the water gradually.  Pulse until the dough is moist enough to form a crust.

4. Chill the dough.  Cool dough will help the  butter firm back up.  About 30 minutes in the fridge is best.

5. Don't add more flour to your counter surface.  The more flour you add, the tougher the crust.  I roll my dough between wax paper.

6.  Best of all use one of the pie toppers to make a beautiful pie.  The presentation will 'wow' the crowd.

Have a piece of pie on me!  I love pie!


No comments:

Post a Comment