Friday, June 1, 2012

Raspberry Romaine Salad

from Just Joy cookbook

In case you are wondering why I have suddenly posted recipes from the Just Joy cookbook, this is my daughter of love's favorite cookbook.  I have written about the cookbook itself before.  For those who don't know or can't remember...much like me!, this is a cookbook from the Lighthouse Family Retreat Center.  It is a place dedicated to retreats for the family with a child who has cancer.

The cookbook is dedicated to the many families who inspired Melinda to open the center.  Melinda wrote:
"This cookbook is dedicated to the children with cancer who inspired me to follow God in the vision for The Lighthouse Family Retreat.  It was their spirit, their sweet smiling faces and laughter that touched my heart and drew me to care for them.  They led me to find joy in the moment, to look beyond myself, and to seek God with all my heart.  I am grateful to each of these children that God brought into my life.  Though some are no longer with us, their memories still compel me to serve, comfort, and encourage those facing the journey of childhood cancer."  You can see more about this wonderful ministry here: lighthousefamilyretreat.org

So, without further ramblings, lets get to the wonderful salad my daughter of love made from this great cookbook.  It features strawberries....you know I LOVE strawberries! :)

Ingredients:
1 head Romaine lettuce (tear in bite size pieces)
2 cups strawberries
1 medium sized purple onion (chopped)
1/2 cup slivered almonds (toasted)

Raspberry Dressing:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup raw sugar
1/4 cup milk
2 Tbs raspberry vinegar
1 tsp poppy seed

Combine mayonnaise, raw sugar, milk, vinegar, and poppy seeds in a jar with tightly fitting lid and shake until blended.  Chill for 4 ours.  Combine lettuce, strawberries, onion, and almonds in a bowl.  Pour dressing over the lettuce mixture.

Serves 4-6


No comments:

Post a Comment