Friday, May 4, 2012

Mystery Ingredient in my Bread!



So my hubby told the Sunday school class he was teaching that I would bring home made cinnamon rolls for the class. No problem on my part. I was going to use my overnight method...see the directions below!

Bear with my funny story to learn the mystery ingredient! :)

As I am rolling the dough out, I notice a few little black specks in the dough. Hum?? What could they be? I don't have any cinnamon or other dark type grain in the flour. Then, I saw a larger speck!

When milling wheat to make fresh whole wheat flour, I had poured the canister of fresh flour into a bucket. I tapped the lid over the bucket to get all the extra flour off the lid. Unbeknownst to me, the sponge filter on the lid of the Nutrimill grain grinder had fallen into the flour bucket!! When I started making my bread, I used a bowl to scoop the flour from the bucket into the Bosch mixing bowl, not really watching the flour carefully. Without realizing it, the sponge was now mixing with my bread dough. My, how the Bosch Universal mixer does a great job in thoroughly kneading the dough! The sponge totally disintegrated into a million pieces and was spread evenly throughout the bread dough. I would say hurray for great kneading and mixing IF it had been say, cinnamon and raisins. No, this was a foam sponge being evenly distributed by that wonderful Bosch mixer dough hook that thoroughly mixes and kneads the dough. argh!

My first thought was to pick each little piece of sponge out. What was I thinking? After about 10 minutes of picking, I threw the 6# of dough in the trash. So sad. So the lesson learned? To watch more carefully when adding ingredients to my recipes AND to always check where that pesky sponge is.

Look carefully and you will see specks of the sponge!




Overnight Cinnamon Rolls
Basic Bread Recipe: Click here!

Roll the dough out into a rectangle.




Sprinkle with raw sugar. This is less processed than white sugar.


Sprinkle with ground cinnamon.



Roll into cylinder and then use dental floss to cut as opposed to a knife which will squash the roll. Dental floss will cut through the dough leaving it a nice round roll.


Place on greased pan.


After the pan is full, cover with foil or saran wrap and refrigerate. The cinnamon rolls will slow rise overnight. In the morning, simply pop the pan of risen cinnamon rolls in the oven and bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. After the rolls have cooled, you can make a powdered sugar icing.

They are soooo easy to make and people will think you have gotten up at the wee hours of the morning to make these fabulous hot cinnamon rolls! Have fun!

1 comment:

  1. I was so surprised at how easy it was to make these fabulous cinnamon rolls! I had always thought that making cinnamon rolls would take forever, but from making the dough to rolling them up and putting them on the pan, it took about 20 mintues! They are so simple, and I can't wait to bite into one (ore two or three) At this moment I am waiting for my rolls to be ready to go in the oven. This is my first time making them, and I know they will be a success!

    ReplyDelete