Friday, January 6, 2012

New Year Resolutions Stay intact?


I have had some real soul searching for the year 2012. I was challenged with this question:

"Am I the same person that I ended 2010 as I am when I ended 2011? Do I want to be the same person I am right now when I end 2012? Do I have a game plan to make a change?"

Those are really weighty questions. Our Sunday school teacher posed three examples to consider for 2012.

First, an Asian New Year tradition for his Cambodian descendants was to sweep the house then casting the dirt in the dust pan out of the house. This was a symbolic action to rid your life of the 'dirt' of the old year as you look to the new year. We were challenged to evaluate the passing year and examine the 'dirt' we had accumulated in our heart. To purge those old habits and purpose to keep the old habits just that old, discards of the past.

Second, Moses had died as well as a complete generation before crossing the Jordan River to the promise land (Joshua 1:1). The point was not the physical death of someone but the death of our old life/old habits and to cross to the new year with a fresh walk with Jesus. To cross to the promise land there had to be laying aside of the old ways. So...I am challenged to review 2011 to purge myself of the baggage and cross over/move to a fresh new 2012.

Third, don't look through the binoculars of 2011 with all its baggage into 2012. You will find yourself bringing the junk into the new year.

I was challenged to not only get rid of the 'dirt' of 2011 but to wisely consider the good habits/character of 2011 and embrace those character traits to take with me into the new year.

If we don't learn from history, we will repeat it..the good and the bad. I am choosing to make a change for the better for 2012. We have 366 days this year (this is leap year) to make a difference. AW Tozer made a profound statement, "The devil loves it when we say we believe then prioritize everything in our lives ahead of God." So, I am wanting to make changes in priorities that will reflect this desire to make 2012 a delight to God.

I am up for the challenge to make this year to repeat history of the good. How about you? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment