Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Nutburgers...really?




Okay for you die hard meat lovers, this will be a challenge for you. For you vegetarians out there, you will love it! :) Actually, my kids do like them but if I tell them the word "nut burger" their minds conjure a grilled hamburger. This does not taste like a freshly grilled hamburger. So how do I describe the flavor. Good. It is more like eating a meatloaf in a small patty form. I think the nut you choose to use will alter the flavor. I love pecans and used them as the nut of choice and it makes a great meal.

Nut Burgers

2 cups whole wheat bread crumbs*
1 cup tomato juice
1/2 grated small zucchini**
1/2 cup chopped onion**
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp sea salt
2 eggs (beaten)
2 cups ground nuts (I used pecans)

Soak bread crumbs in tomato juice; squeeze out excess liquid. Combine all the other ingredients. Shape into 8 patties and bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes; or shape into a loaf and bake for 40-45 minutes.

*I used my older dried bread and simply put it in the blender. I had instant bread crumbs. If you have flop bread, use it for bread crumbs. Be sure to freeze your bread crumbs because your fresh bread crumbs will mold. It is great to have them ready to use straight from the freezer.



**Make your Bosch Universal Mixer your maid in your kitchen. Pull out your Bosch slicer/shredder or Bosch Food Processor to grate the zucchini and chop the onions. You will have both jobs done effortlessly!








Note from Paula: So why do you want to try this recipe? Well, it is the base for a fabulous chili! I am going to share the meatless chili recipe with you in the next post. The best thing about my chili recipe is that it won second place in a chili cook off. Imagine the judges shock when they found out there was no meat in the chili! Wait for the next post to read more! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment