Friday, October 28, 2011

Meatless Chili



So here it is...my second place prize winning chili. I really didn't want to enter into the chili contest because I knew that if anyone found out that it was made with nuts, they would totally freak out and not try it. They would probably even throw us out because it seemed so bizarre and be defying the All American Chili type to have nuts (pecan in this case) in the chili. So with much conjuring from my hubby, I entered my chili with my secret recipe kept hidden. :)

The judges tried each chili with much fuss and conversation over the different flavors and how pepper hot some were. When they reached mine, they all commented on the great flavor and marked the chili down as a possible winner! My hubby was ecstatic; I was mortified as I knew I would have to reveal the recipe, if I won!

So to make this rambling story come to an end, I came in second. I had to reveal my recipe much to the shock of the judges. It made everyone want to try the chili and they couldn't believe it didn't have any beef in the chili!

Perhaps my story makes you want to try the recipe. It really is good. One down fall to the recipe is that it doesn't keep well. It will still taste good for a next day meal but it won't have the texture you expect your chili to have. The bread dissolves into a mush so it doesn't look as appetizing. Our family didn't mind but if you are feeding the skeptics, you want to only serve it the first day it is made. :)

Meatless Chili
serves: 6-8
4 cups cooked pinto beans and juice
2 minced garlic cloves
1 Tbs. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
1 chopped onion
1/4 tsp cayenne*
2 Tbs. picante sauce
2 nut burgers, broken into crumbs (see previous post)
1 tsp sea salt

Combine all the ingredients in sauce pan and simmer for about one hour. I doubled this recipe as the chili is soooo good and I wanted lots to eat!

*I used the cayenne for my contest entry. For our personal family, I leave it out as most of us don't like things hot. Those who do like it hot, doctor their own chili.


No comments:

Post a Comment