from Shelly's Bread Cookbook
(see my web site: www.paulasbread.com to purchase this wonderful cookbook with lots of other great bread recipes!)
7 cups hot water
1 cup oil
1 cup honey
2 cups millet (not milled into flour)
3/4 cup flax seeds
8 cups freshly milled white spring wheat flour
4 cups freshly milled red winter wheat flour
2 T salt
3 T dough enhancer
1/3 cup gluten flour
5-6 T SAF yeast
8-10 cups additional white spring wheat flour
1. Boil 4 cups water and pour over 3/4 cups wheat berries and let sit for 1 hour in a bowl. Drain water off before adding to dough.
Note from Paula: This step of soaking the wheat berries will make them tender in your final bread product.
2. In Bosch bowl, add all the ingredients, with yeast on top, except last amount of flour. Pulse, until the flour is completely moistened. Turn off and sponge for 15-20 minutes.
Note from Paula: Many wonder what 'sponging' means. This is simply letting the ingredients 'rest' or set untouched for the designated amount of time! It allows the yeast to activate and mix with the ingredients.
3. Turn Bosch machine back on speed 1 while adding the additional flour, until the dough cleans the sides of the bowl. Turn to speed 2 and knead 3-5 additional minutes.
4. Oil your hands and shape the dough into 6 equal balls of dough. Put them in your bread pan to rise till doubled in size.
5. Bake at 350 degrees fro 30-35 minutes.
Note from Paula: The whole millet and 4 cups whole wheat berries in this recipe will give your bread a nice texture and crunch! Hope you enjoy!