Thursday, February 13, 2014

Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake


This is a new twist to shortcake and a fund Valentine Treat! My kids loved it...humm, so did I. In fact, I liked it a little too much. :) This is really easy to make and sooo good. I didn't try it, but I am sure you could make the shortcakes in advance and freeze them. This would make an easy dessert to pull from the freezer and 'wow' your guests. Very elegant with a beautiful presentation. Hope you enjoy!

Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake
1 quart fresh sliced strawberries
Shortcake: 
1 3/4 cup sifted whole wheat pastry flour
2 T honey
1 T baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup cold butter
1 egg
3/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup cocoa powder
Topping:
1 cup whipping cream
2 T Xagave
1 tsp vanilla extract


Step One: Mix whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder. Cut in cold butter. Add honey and sour cream. I use my Bosch universal mixer with the wire whips to cut the butter. It makes things so easy. Form into 3" diameter cakes and place on stainless steel cookie sheet.




Step Two: Beat egg white till frothy. Brush over shortcakes. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake 400 degrees for 15-18 minutes.

Step Three: After shortcakes are cool, cut horizontally; spoon whip cream and sliced strawberries between cake layers. Spoon whip cream on top and drizzle with chocolate syrup. Garnish with a whole strawberry.

I use the Bosch Slicer/Shredder with the whip to make my whipping cream. Everything is made fast and easy with the Bosch Universal Mixer! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment