Monday, February 11, 2013

Thoughts on Life Continued

So why the picture of the rose amongst the thorns?  Even amongst the thorns that hurt, beauty can arise!  I have pondered the view of life's challenges lately through the eyes of several books I have been reading.   All seem to have lately had the same theme of seeing the rose..the good...amongst the bad. 






I tend to read several books at a time.  Depending on my mood for the moment is the book I happen to pick up.  I mentioned one book I recently read was "The Last Lecture" which challenged me/us to look at the glass half full and live life on a day to day joy ride.

Another book I have been reading is "No Compromise" a biography about Keith Green, a Christian music artist.  His story is amazing.  He was very passionate about life and wanting to live it to the max for Jesus.  He died in a plane crash at 28 years old yet would leave a legacy that is still unfolding.  Isn't that what we secretly desire?  To make a mark; to make our life count; to know that we have done something while on earth to fill a purpose.  To leave a legacy for the Lord?

Keith Green's wife, Melody, wrote the biography and she had her final notes about her life after the death of her beloved husband.  This exert really spoke to me because it pens what I have been trying to communicate and to learn the lesson of embracing the good, the bad and the ugly things of life.

Melody Green writes:
"In the big picture I believe each person has a measure of painful circumstance in his or her life at some point.  Pain and sorrow give us a challenge.  We can decide if we will let ourselves remain in an angry or bitter place.

With God's help, we can eventually come out on the other side of the storm.  Then, we can become vessels of grace and understanding to others who are in their season of crisis and pain.

Some cuts are deep enough to mark us forever.  But after seasons and times of healing and restorations by God, we don't have to be controlled by our wounds.  Even with healing, we may always be marked by them to the greater good of our souls.  Our injuries can be our biggest windows into aspects of God's character we might not have known any other way.

I know my losses deposited something deep into my spirit.  Yes, I would have rather read a book to receive what God gave to me in those darkest of times--but some pearls are only discovered when the field looks like an impossible wasteland.

He is the God of the impossible.  The God who tells us where to dig for the treasure.  The God of great and tender mercies.  And I love Him with all of my heart."


No comments:

Post a Comment