Wednesday, January 23, 2013

More Super Bowl Food!!

These meet the need I have of fast and easy.  I have already discussed that we are not a sports family, we still like to snack and have appetizers for get togethers.  I normally don't eat nor like hotdogs but am willing to eat them when I know they are on the 'healthy' side.  I would make the trek to Whole Foods to get my 'healthy hotdogs' but now I found a sort of healthy alternative found at my local grocery store: Oscar Mayer Natural hotdogs.  These don't have the nitrates and are close healthy for me because are convenient for our occasional use of this 'food group.'

Notice, I put 'food group' in quotes.  I am not sure I really want to consider hotdogs as a part of our food groups, though hotdogs are an All American Type Meal. :)

So enough ramblings...what are my fast and easy Super Bowl Food Ideas?



Taco Dog!!
This is a super easy idea and really almost insults our intelligence to call it cooking!  I spread shredded cheddar cheese on a tortilla; rolled the hotdog up in the tortilla; baked 350 till slightly brown.

Cut into bite size servings.  You could leave them whole as a meal but this is an appetizer theme!
Here is your step by step process.....





 
 

Pigs in a Blanket!!

I don't like the "little smokies" due to all the additives in the smokies nor do I like canned biscuits.  I make my own biscuit dough and cut these natural Oscar Mayer hotdogs into thirds.  It works for me!!



 

 
 
Whole Wheat Biscuit Recipe
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
2 Tbs. honey
1/2 cup softened butter
2/3 cup milk

Mix dry ingredients together.  Cut in butter.  Add honey, milk and stir.  Drop onto baking sheet OR roll onto floured surface 1/4" thick to make cut biscuits.

Bake on ungreased stainless steel cookie sheet at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment