Wednesday, November 30, 2011

New Twist to Traditional Green Bean Casserole!


The Thanksgiving dinner is over and one more turkey type dinner to go! My sister in law hosts all the extended family for our traditional dinner. We each have our designated food item to bring...I know you will never guess what I bring! Dinner rolls. More on that later in another post.

What I want to share with you is the twist to the traditional Green Bean casserole that many make for their Turkey dinner. My sweet sister in law used fresh brussels sprouts instead of green beans!

2# or 4 cups fresh brussels sprouts
2 cans cream of chicken soup*
1-2 cups French's fried onion

Simply steam the fresh brussels sprouts till tender. Cut the brussels sprouts in half and mix the brussels sprouts with the cream of chicken soup. Cover with the French fried onion. I say 1-2 cups because our family likes lots of the fried onions BUT your family might not like them and you would then want to only sprinkle them on your veggie.

*Home made cream of chicken soup:
1 stick of butter melted
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 cup half and half

Melt the butter and whisk the flour into the melted butter. Add the liquids. If the cream soup is too runny, add more flour. I like my soup thick to make a good creamy mixture for my veggie topping. You could also substitute the half and half for heavy cream and it will thicken even better but you have lots more calories!

1 comment: